A library book that I had waited three years to read, and eight people are still waiting after me.
I felt the translated title was a bit exaggerated, making it sound as if every single member of the family suffered from schizophrenia. In reality, six out of the 12 siblings developed noticeable symptoms—which is still a remarkably high rate, though.
I was deeply impressed by the youngest daughter's courage and proactiveness, as well as the mother's ultimate optimism. Just staying sane should be challenging enough in their circumstances, yet these women tried to take care of their suffering brothers and sons at home by themselves.
Maybe their attempts didn't work as they had hoped, but who could ever do so, especially after being horribly hurt by their own brothers and sons with such an illness? Without these two, the whole family might have collapsed.
Meanwhile, I didn't know that the cause and underlying mechanisms of schizophrenia were still so poorly understood. Also, there seems to be no clear line between being ill and being cured, unlike with broken bones or cataracts. Or rather, I got the impression that diagnosis and treatment for this illness might vary depending on the time and place. There is no one-size-fits-all standard treatment. In fact, what was once regarded as effective is now criticized as useless or even harmful.
For MY Reference:
統合失調症とは | 京大病院精神科統合失調症研究グループ
統合失調症 - 10. 心の健康問題 - MSDマニュアル家庭版

No comments:
Post a Comment